"Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life." - Samuel Ullman
Youth programs are one of the most important at Atmiya Sparsh. His Divine Holiness Hariprasad Swami Maharaj’s life slogan, “Yuvako maru sarvasva chhe – Youths are my everything.” This signifies the special place youth hold in His heart. He always emphasizes the extraordinary potential present in a youth.
Atmiya Sparsh has played a major role in the empowerment and transformation of countless youth in the community who were at-risk, unproductive, misguided and disowned by their family. Through the programs, the youth are given an opportunity to lead inspirational lives without vices and to become successful in their chosen fields. This transformation is the result of Atmiya Sparsh providing an ideal environment that provides programs that promotes positive values, healthy habits, and inculcates moral, ethical and cultural values.
Atmiya Sparsh has been involved in providing assistance to youth in the community who are in need, including personal counseling and mentorship programs, leadership and job search training, academic programs - after-school and summer programs.
We organize/host workshops on a variety of topics throughout the years. With the help of the community and volunteers we have been able to provide information and learning sessions valuable to the community on a wide array of topics.
The following are some of Atmiya Sparsh’s’ Youth Empowerment programs:
1) Counseling and mentorship - Atmiya Sparsh’s youth programs have a structure and focus that is executed by mentors that counsel, discuss, console, interact and most importantly listen to these youth. Atmiya Sparsh also operates group and individualized personal one-to-one workshops. During these sessions, youth are taught to mediate and experience a calm that cannot be offered through vices, teaching them to achieve a heightened sense of responsibility and a moral and ethical character.
2) Career and job search workshops – Atmiya Sparsh offers career workshops where accomplished members of the community from various walks of life and professions are invited to give presentations and address the youth. Networking workshops are held to provide youth the opportunity to meet with experts from academia to corporate to entrepreneurs. Atmiya Sparsh provides job search and interview skills training workshops. Two of our most successful and anticipated events are Professional Networking and Career Day.
3) Caring for the community – Atmiya Sparsh encourages youth to expand their focus by caring for others in the community to help them develop a broad global view, understand their own life-goal, and nurture their social interactive skills. Every youth is encouraged to volunteer at various programs the centre and average each youth will volunteer at least 10 hours per month.
4) Self-Enhancement Programs – This program is designed to provide youth with life skills beyond the fundamentals provided by the other programs. The youth would learn to build strong self-confidence as a result of various workshops and live interactive exercises conducted by qualified professionals within the community. Upon completion of the workshop the youth will be a confident orator, knowledgeable in appropriate wardrobe attire, able to host a meeting/party, plan and event for more than 500 attendees and be a strong and confident in his/her own environment
5) Academic programs, after-school and summer programs – Atmiya Sparsh may, in the future, operate after-school and summer programs for youth (such as tutorial programs, English language programs, etc.).